Chinese New Year (also called Lunar New Year, or Spring Festival (chunjie 春节)) is arguably the most important festival in China. It is a festival with a long history and many interesting (cultural) traditions. It is a good topic to discuss with your students in a language or history class, and a great way to introduce China into your school-wide curriculum. On this page, you will find everything you need to start talking about Chinese New Year.
Ready-t0-use Teaching Materials
- PowerPoint presentation about the Chinese New Year (Year of the Snake)
Images and Videos
- Inside the New Year’s Ditan Temple Fair
- Chinese zodiac (horoscope) illustrations
- Spring Festival fireworks in Beijing (video)
Articles from the Berkshire Encyclopedia of China
- Spring Festival (Lunar New Year)
- Zodiac signs
Proverbs and Wishes
- Chinese New Year wishes
- Chinese proverbs with snakes (Year of the Snake) Coming Soon!