You have decided to come to the United States for your undergraduate or graduate studies, and you have identified your favorite colleges and universities; now the real work begins! Your application will eventually decide if, and where, you get accepted. But how do you know exactly what to do, what to write, and what not to write? How does the application process actually work? The books on this list give you all the inns and outs of the application process at US universities. Also make sure to check out Alan Gelb’s articles on writing the perfect college admission essay! You can find those under “College Admissions.”
- A is for Admission: The Insider’s Guide to Getting into the Ivy League and Other Top Colleges. By Michele A. Hernández. 2009 (rev. edition).
There is a short YouTube video about this publication that you can watch here.
- The Gatekeepers: Inside the Admissions Process Of a Premier College. By Jacques Steinberg. 2002.
This nonfiction book describes the admission process at Wesleyan University, Connecticut, from an insider perspective.
- Colleges That Change Lives: 40 Schools That Will Change the Way You Think About Colleges. By Loren Pope. 2006 (rev. edition).
This book makes a case for looking at colleges beyond the famous Ivy leagues schools.
- Winning the College Admission Game: Strategies for Parents and Student. By Peter Van Buskirk. 2007.
- 美国本科留学解读 Guide to Undergraduate Education in the United States. By Tom Melcher (麦彻同). Translated by 袁锐 等译. 2009.
Available for purchase through dangdang.com here.