I’m delighted to be able to post some information about the Berkshire Encyclopedia of China , our next major reference title and one that is naturally close to my heart and figuratively under my pillow for the next couple months, as I am right in the midst of every aspect of getting it finished–involved, in fact, to a degree that I haven’t been in a long time. But this huge project demands more than ordinary efforts, and it’s now what I think about, day and night! The work is really soup to nuts: interior and exterior design, photo research and sidebar development, working with authors and Berkshire staffers, and planning the promotion to come.
This work is unique in its:
- Range of coverage and interdisciplinary approach
- Expert contributors from many countries, including China itself
- Emphasis on Chinese perspectives, outlook, and the influence of China (past, present, and future)
- Focus on explaining different points of view and covering important debates
- Comparisons designed to make sense of statistics and government data
- Comparative, cross-cultural approach
- Coverage of overseas Chinese throughout the world
This five-volume print publication is only the foundation. We expect to announce an enhanced electronic version soon, a major biographical project, and a partnership with a Chinese reference publishing company.